Sunday, September 1, 2013

Accidental Prank Call

from Tuesday, August 20

Today DIS held a Copenhagen Amazing Race so we could get familiar with some city landmarks and history. Despite my embarrassing lack of directional sense after being here for a week with my family, I loved the activity--learning the city's history and meeting some new friends, one of whom has a fantastic sense of direction.

Afterward, half of my team went to the computer lab to make last-minute passport copies (we were about to register for residence permits) and unwind a bit. I also had to print the receipt for the bike I rented online. Some of the computers were finicky and didn't turn on properly, but finally we all found usable ones.

I tried logging on with the default username and password.

"The username and password do not match." (Or something like that.)

I tried again. And again, typing slowly. And again, typing slowly with Winsor checking over my shoulder.

Bonnie pointed out the IT support poster on the wall. I called the number, including the +45 area code. Someone answered in a foreign language--Danish, I assumed.

"Hi. I'm at the computer lab in Vestergade 23, and I can't log in using the default username and password given in the Arrival Information booklet."

A short pause.

"I'm sorry; you must have the wrong number. This is the European Union."

Oops.

1 comment: